Monday, February 9, 2015

So Far in February

 February.
The month when you remember that you hate Winter.
We didn't have much- possibly any- snow in December, I felt rather gypped. 
When it started to snow in January, I was glad. 
The falling snow cleanses everything, it re-sets my soul and the new year begins for me, with a blanket of perfect, white snow covering up all of the unfinished yard projects and dead grass of the year before. 


January snow is a beginning.
February snow is death.
March snow is purgatory, that thing beyond death, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 


(Dear Everything, 
Die.
Love, February)


The dog is losing his mind.
I cannot take him on the long walks we enjoyed in the summer and fall. It's too cold for my joints and oh yeah, I slipped and about broke myself the last time I tried. He refuses to walk on the treadmill with me, although he doesn't mind peeing on it when given the chance.
Actually, he's kind of peeing on everything right now.

That means I am also losing my mind. 
He isn't allowed in most of the house now because Badger McBalls is peeing on anything that is taller than him, and if he can, humping it to death. 
I know, I need to get him fixed.
 I am setting the appointment this week. 
When he returns from his surgery, I will re-crate train him and hopefully break the cycle of marking things. 
His coat is a mess and even though we all play with him, he misses his walks and is bored out of his mind. 
Soooooo.....bored dogs are super fun:


Did I mention that February is death?

I keep having nightmares that we keep getting more dogs and I have every single room of my house gated off, because it is housing a different dog. The other dogs are all being kept away from badger, the possessive tyrant who can't be nice to any other dogs. 

Fberuary means dry skin and I don't know how I ever survived before I discovered Bliss Body Butter. 
Right now, I'm loving this scent:


You can find it at Sephora or sometimes at TJ Maxx. 
It is still expensive at TJ, but half the cost you will pay at Sephora.
Sephora is ridiculous, by the way. 
I consistently find the snottiest salespeople there, no matter where I go. 

Bliss Body Butter is  great and it doesn't leave your hands feeling like you just rubbed scented Crisco on them. 
Their scents are wonderful, not to strong. It leaves your dry skin feeling amazing and smelling slightly of citrus.



Winter brings days spent deep cleaning, sewing, and listening to audiobooks.

In January, I finished these:



I'm nearly finished with this book:


Next in the que is this audiobook:


I also read actual books, I am in the middle of this one:



 It's the same dystopian society thing that seems to be the setting of every YA book, but the story isn't bad, so far. 
I'm waiting to see who drowns first or if the author is too in love with her characters to kill any of them off.  My bet is that nobody actually dies- all very realistic when the story is about escaping the underwater city with floating bombs above.  A good author has to be willing to kill his creations, but maybe not as often as George R.R. Martin.
Anyway,I haven't thrown this book at the wall yet. 
Yes, that is how I quit reading a book I've started that stinks. I throw it in disgust and that means it is dead to me.
Look-- you're a crazy nut who vacuums lines in her carpets and only eats organic McDonald's-- my crazy is that I throw books across the wall when I'm not mad at them, just disappointed.

Romy recently discovered Survivor and has been wanting to binge watch that with me, so it's often on in the background. 


It's fun to talk strategy and speculation with her and usually if we are watching it, Zane will join us and laugh as I give him my expert tips on how he should play the game if he ever goes on the show. (He is never going to apply to be on the show.)

It's fun to have Romy wrapped up in it and becoming a bit obsessed with it.
It has been on forever, but it is still a really great show, every time. 
We're binging on  season 20 right now- Heroes vs Villains. 
(It is not being watched in order, we haven't binged through 19 seasons this winter, but possibly 3.)


Not much else is going on right now.
 We had some of the Short Hills Ward Gang over on Saturday to play games and eat dinner after our friend, Richard, was baptized. 
We've only really known him at church, but we realized he lives in Springfield and after Saturday- we have waaaaay to much in common with him to not invite him over every time we hang out. He was impressed that we attend Comic-con and wear our nerd loud and proud. We were impressed that he is a fan of the Dresden Files books and all things BBC. 
He is our kind of Geekfolk, Yo.


I am also always blown away by people who convert to the Church.
I don't know if I'm a good enough person to choose it if I hadn't been raised in the church and had a personal testimony of it's truth from early on.
 I had seasons of doubt, anger towards the church, and even darkness, but I have always known it was true and that it was the right thing for me. 
I don't know if I could make the commitments and leave behind so much of the world if this lifestyle didn't feel natural and normal to me. 
 I hope that I would, but I'm honestly glad that my testimony journey has always been with me knowing who I was and having the help of the Holy Ghost and the scriptures towards finding truth and joy.
He is making a huge change and I think that people who join the church, having not been raised in it, are just about the bravest people I know.

As you can see, our dear Rebekah is only weeks away from bringing Baby Boy Fox into the world.


(Ruth, I love you. You are adorable.)

We have been so lucky to get to be close to Kyle and Rebekah throughout a portion of their journey to start a family. There have been prayers, tears, fasts, blessings and shouts of joy. We love them so much and they are going to be wonderful parents, in spite of the fact that I'm gonna steal that baby from them every chance I get. 
Matt has already started to refer to me as Auntie Rumplestiltskin.

This week brings visitors and after that, I have one more week of driving Zane crazy before he reports to the MTC for his mission. 
I don't know how I'm going to feel once he walks through those doors at all, but I know it is the right thing and it is the thing he has wanted to do since he was a little boy.
 I know he is also very brave. 


February brings a lot of lousy things, but THIS February has some pretty special ones, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment