Monday, October 20, 2014

NYC in 31,600 Steps

Emma, Kate and Jane came home for UEA weekend.
(In Utah, there is a fall recess so the teachers can attend a training workshop- that exactly zero teachers I know attend. Teachers need a break, too.)



Since it was just a short trip and the weather was going to be amazing, we packed a ton of things in our two full days together.

 I love, love, love  street art.

Bryant Park

We caught the morning bus to Midtown and spent Friday sightseeing, shopping and visiting the Museum of Natural History. 

Yes, this guy is famous. 
No, we did not get his autograph because he's a statue and doesn't actually come to life and ask us for gum-gum.
Also, he doesn't like to be touched by fans.

Worst. Dinosaurs. Ever.


19,600 steps- over 9 miles of walking that day. 


In the past month, I've been committed to getting my daily goal of steps in. The dog is going on way more walks, and go figure, he's managed to get house trained. He fought going outside, but since I wasn't going to turn around and return home until he went potty, he  gave up and quickly realized that going outside got him a treat.
Smart dog- feisty and bratty, but smart.
It took him about 4 days of consistent long walks and going outside to discover the joy in marking things.....every 10 feet. He also attempts to pee on any dog that he isn't trying to bite.  
We're very popular with our neighbors who have dogs.

Walks with Badger are not super fun right now, but he's getting better.



This is why you tall people should never date short people. 


I was glad to see that after a solid month of walking every day (except for when I was sick) I was able to keep up and it wasn't even that hard for me on Friday. 

Saturday was another story.
We all had Jell-o legs, but we also had theater tickets, so we forged ahead. 
We were able to get tickets to Phantom for a really low price and everyone had a wonderful time.
I will be forever thankful to my friend, Wendy Koller for showing me how to get the cheapest theater tickets, so that now, when we have guests, we can actually afford to go to shows. 






It was fun seeing each of the girls connect with and react to different scenes, I was crying during my favorite scene, where Raul's life is being threatened unless Christine vows her love to the Phantom. 
Emma & Jane have been to three Broadway Shows, Kate has been to four and Romy has been to two. I've lost count, but I think I'm at six or seven. 
Five years ago, I'd have sold a kidney for the chance to just attend one Broadway show in my lifetime.
It makes me so happy that my kids get to experience it and that they know we're all very lucky and blessed right now to be able to do this. 

We had Doughnut Plant for breakfast, NY cheesecake for lunch and Popeye's for dinner.
Super healthy.
It's a good thing we got in all of those steps.


We made a Popeye's convert out of Kate. KFC is lovely, but oh, Popeye's.... 
There isn't one close to our house, thankfully.

The girls flew back to Utah on Sunday, and Kyle and Rebekah came over in the evening to play games. 
We barely defeated the zombies, but Wanda had to die, in order for the rest of us to escape.
RIP Wanda, the roller skating waitress who had no weapons save a frying pan. 
You had to die because you sucked.

I' m not dead yet.....

We sure do love Kyle and Rebekah and can't wait for their baby to be born this spring. 
I might possibly go crazy with baby gifts for them, and since they are like younger brother and sister to us-- I get to be Auntie to their baby and Aunties spoil children with presents they don't need.
That's the rule.
 I read it in a book somewhere.
Probably the Bible, so it MUST be done.

Today, a cold front has blown in and the kids are bundled up in coats and I have to figure out how I'm going to get those steps in when the weather is just too cold.


Matt has finally succumbed to that awful sickness I had 2 weeks ago and he is home, in bed, coughing and dying. 
I've got 50 pounds of apples that I'm going to make pie filling with and can this week, and we have the big ward party coming up this weekend. I'm in charge of decorations, so I'll be busy making Halloween crafty messes all week.
Life isn't quite the same now that the kids are getting older. 
It's strange how much time and energy went into just managing the chaos when they were all small and home all of the time. Now, people have routines, jobs and everyone wants some alone time to decompress each day. The house is quieter, there aren't toys to trip over and plates of cookies don't get eaten within 20 minutes of my taking them out of the oven. We work out where the cars are going to be and aim to have at least one night a week where we can all be together, but usually we can only manage to have most of us together.  We are all very busy with our individual things and it's a strange season. 
I guess I think they are all strange.  I'm one of those people who wakes up every day and life still surprises the heck out of me.  
I always have the same sense of wonder at how each miraculously ordinary day unfolds, even when things are terribly predictable and obvious to others. 
Eh, I don't hate that about myself. 
The world is crazy wonderful, even when it's quiet and boring and cold.





No comments:

Post a Comment