Monday, March 24, 2014

Granola Bars

My kids love granola bars.
Who doesn't?
They aren't super expensive, but the cheapest I ever find them is $1.50 for a box of 10. My kids would eat a box every day if they could. I feel like a grouchy bear mom when I hide them in my closet and scrawl threats with a sharpie on every box. 
Today I decided to see if I could make them, and free my family from they Oppressive Granola Bar Tyranny that they have lived under for years.



I used this recipe:

5 C. oats
1 C. chopped almonds 
1 C. coconut

Toast these on a cookie sheet while you put together the rest of the ingredients. Check on it every few minutes, so it doesn't burn.

Take a cookie sheet and cover it with aluminum foil, including the sides. Spray that baby with a nice coat of Pam.
In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together:

1/2 C. butter / margarine
3/4 C. light Karo Syrup
1/2 C. packed brown sugar

cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved the add:

1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla, if you prefer)
1/2 tsp. salt

Pour over  oat mixture, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
The recipe called for 
 1 C. dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries. 
and 1/2 C. chocolate chips to be added at this time.

If I wanted to eat fruit, I'd eat fruit, we didn't add any fruit. I was also out of chocolate chips and didn't realize it until I had already come this far. 
I used butterscotch chips. 
Butterscotch chips are amazingly good.
I upped the amount to a full cup and added a half cup of white chocolate chips for good measure. 

They melted into the mixture, the recipe said chocolate chips would melt 'a little' but my chips totally melted.

Take the mixture and put it in the foil-lined pan and press it down with your hands. Press it more than you would Rice Krispie Treats, you want these to stay together. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on the top and press them in.
Cool in the fridge for 2 hours, then take them out of the pan and cut into bars.

Store in an airtight container up to a week, but who are we kidding?


 They won't last a week.
They were really yummy and not even a tiny bit healthy. 
The ones you buy at the store are not healthy either, so don't let that stop you from trying these. 
My kids loved them, they were really good and easy to make. 



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! My boys are the same in their consumption of granola bars. I'm going to have to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete