Wednesday, December 18, 2013

This is Pure Snow! It's Everywhere!

Two points to the person who names the reference, and minus twelve to anyone who has no idea. 
--
So, that "post a day" thing didn't exactly happen, but it did get me blogging more consistently again, and that was the  real goal. 
We've been blessed with a ton of snow this December.


When I was younger, I lived in Idaho and some years Christmas was white, while other years, the snow teased here and there, but wouldn't really start sticking until January.
Snow that waits until January is just rude.
By January, you're looking forward to spring. 
There's nothing magical about January or February snow and March snow just gets on your nerves. 
Don't judge me, the voices in my head totally agree with my logic.



When I was in 9th grade, my family moved to Arizona and that was the end of any snowy Decembers.
It didn't bother me, it was nice to be able to still go out and do things in the evenings, to see the lights at the Mesa Temple with my friends and Arizona brought a whole new world of December that involved people and places and it was it's own kind of magical. 



I was in Arizona for a long time.
 I never once took my kids up North just to see the snow. I took them to the Zoo, to the park, to the Temple. Christmas was a time for outings because it wasn't 400 degrees outside. 
December was the reward for putting up with August.


When we packed up that U-haul and headed to Happy Valley, my body was not ready for this season called "Winter."  I bought the heaviest coat I could find and knew it was going to be a rough adjustment for me. I had no idea how to drive in the snow, and it seemed that my fingers would never warm up.



Until they did. I met this really tall guy who gave me a reason to drive in the snow, and who kept my hands and heart  warm with all of that mushy schmoopy stuff that Caleb would prefer I not mention.

Snow and winter have been a part of life, ever since. My joints ache and hurt and I'm still wearing that ginormous coat, but it's okay. I know that December snow is magical.


Last year, it snowed on Christmas Eve.
 It snowed as my seven children all went outside and danced in it, while they waited for Santa. 
December snow will do that.
December snow deserves to be danced in. 


I am thankful that I have kids who know that, and who remind me that even though there will be wet clothes and windshields to scrape- everywhere I look.....magic. 


Look out your window.
Do you see it, just glistening, as the sun shines on it?

Maybe the magic is in the branches of the trees, cold limbs reaching out, trying to grasp the sun so they can thaw.


Maybe the magic  is in the back yard where the kids have tromped and smashed and made chaos of the ground as they try to build forts and snowmen. 


Look outside, and find the evidence of magic that December has brought to you.


Then  make some hot cocoa and finish your holiday shopping online- it may be magic, but it's COLD, Yo.


3 comments: