Monday, November 4, 2013

Reading

It is so cold outside!!
The leaves are still gorgeous, but they are sure falling faster.
The jackets we have been wearing are soon going to be exchanged for heavy coats, I've already swapped out my Slurpees for hot cocoa and while I love the holidays-- I dread the cold.
My joints have started screaming at me each day.
Darn it.
This time last year though, we still had no power and we stayed warm by boiling big pots of water on the stove all day- so I'll count my blessings and turn up the heater, 
It's stay inside weather though and that means I'm reading a ton and listening to audio books. 
 I've been having a good run since school started.
And it didn't hurt that my sweet Sister and Brother in law sent us a care package with FOUR cans of Stephen's Hot Cocoa. 


You can't get it here and when I went to Utah I stocked up and then gave a bunch of it away to some of  my fellow Utah transplants here in New Jersey who miss it as much as I do. 
Matt is going out of town in the next while, and I am going to be putting my books down long enough to binge watch Pride and Prejudice and drink cocoa until the cold wind blowing outside is completely forgotten. 
(Thanks B & P- we miss you.)

Right now, I'm right in the middle of this:



It is so good!
If you liked Maze Runner, or Hunger Games- it's got that kind of feel, but so far, I'm liking it way more.

I have had this on my "to-read" list for a few years and I finished it:


I don't know what to say about it.
It was a good enough story, it was interesting and I liked the characters and the world he created enough.
But Orson Scott Card can sometimes get really wrapped up in some theological/political thing he's into and sometimes his books get lost in whatever he is trying to preach.
Ender's Game was wonderful, but the follow up books, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Shadow of the Hedgemon, Children of the Mind- all of those-- bleah.  I read them all hoping for that spark that was in Ender's game to return and it just didn't.
It did come in Ender's Shadow, but I think that when Card writes about adults, he loses a lot and as Alvin in this series grows, I suspect I will get sick of it. 
I either love what OSC writes or hate it, and I could love this book, but I suspect I will hate the follow ups, so I think I'll just stop reading while I'm not annoyed with the author. 
By the way, we saw the Ender's Game movie- while the movie is never anywhere near as good as the book, it wasn't bad. My kids who hadn't read the book really liked it, those of us who did read the book didn't leave frustrated. Romy started reading it the next day. 

But back to what I'm reading....

I also read this:


Great story, but it has some crass language. Teenage swearing level, more than I'd allow Roe to read, but Zane could.
I think the author is a huge fan of old pictures and while it's great that creepy old pictures inspired the story, I think sometimes he just wrote things to include the pictures he wanted to use and relied on the images to do the writing for him. He uses the pictures that inspired him as a bit of a crutch.  His second in the series is coming out and I will read it.
I did enjoy it, I enjoyed it enough that I bought the author's book that was completely about found pictures:



It was a fun book.


Next on deck is this series:


Because THIS book still hasn't come out and I am just dying waiting for it:


Yeah, there isn't even a mock up of the cover released.
Come on Jim Butcher, the Olsons are DYING here. 


What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment