Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Almost Summer

My laptop has been down to the HP headquarters or whatever for repairs for the past 2 weeks.
I love this laptop, it's super fast and has enough memory to run all of my photo adventures and stream shows without skipping a beat.
This summer, I'm going to watch season two of Call the Midwife and probably season 3 of The Walking Dead. Call the Midwife is great, a nice filler for those who are Jonesing for some Downton Abbey, as is Mr. Selfridge. 
The Walking Dead is a terrible show with too many swears, but I think i will go crazy if I don't find out what happens next. That dumb lady is pregnant. who gets pregnant during a Zombie Apolcalypse?  
Anyway, we have a billion other computers, but I like my familiar things, so didn't do any blogging while my computer was on holiday. 

School is OUT for Grey and Zane today. 
Grey graduates from Junior High tonight and we're going out to dinner with the Ralstons after Grey and Lindsay get their diplomas. with them starting high school next year the Mormon population will double at JDHS.  


Its such an interesting thing, the way my kids have changed as a result of the cultural differences between New Jersey and Salt Lake. I have always lived in areas that had a strong representation of members of the church. If I didn't like the kids in my ward, there were tons of other LDS kids and it wasn't hard to choose good friends with the same standards. I never lived in a place where we didn't have release time seminary, except for the semester I lived with my Aunt and Uncle in Indiana.
Being out here in the 'mission field' the kids had to choose. Were they going to embrace being LDS and choose to stand out if the situation called for it, were they going to be open about thier beliefs and able to handle being challenged by people about it? Some people want all of the bad things they hear explained, others- most people- are just curious. 
They had to commit to who they were going to be as they spent every day among people who didn't just automatically create an environment that was catered to our belief system. They kids had to establish who they were and have confidence in that knowledge to the degree that they still knew it when everything around them did not. 
I don't know if that makes any sense, the way I'm explaining it. 

It's been a beautiful thing to watch my kids choose to be who they are at all times and in all places. Even for things that have nothing to do with their faith, my kids have become more secure and stringer in who they are and what they believe is right and wrong.  I love all of my children and I am proud of who each one of them has chose to be at this point in their lives. 

(The Bishop kids, Roe, Lindsay and Zane in our back yard)
 
The future is bright and summer vacation is almost here.
 Roe has another day and a half of class and then it's all Otter Pops and barefoot nights chasing fireflies in the grass for two months. We're going to be spending a lot of time with friends and family from near and far and enjoying one last lazy summer  before Zane goes on his mission. 
We got a sneak peek of some summertime lounging this weekend at the home of our friends, James and Michelle. They invited us over to enjoy s'mores for Father's Day and we all had a great time. 


  (Jared, Matt and Bishop H)

 (...beautiful daughters)
(roastin' marshmallows like pros)

(I don't know why Ruth looks like she's doing something sneaky, but I suspect Maddie knows)

(Superdad squad)

----
The kids have summer reading assignments.
I guess that's a good idea, but Eh.

Romy has to read this:


I forget what the boys have to read, but today we went to the bookstore and picked up books 4 & 5 of this series for her to read as well. just for fun. She's really loving these books, and I am glad she has finally found a series she likes.


I am going to be reading this:

And this:


And this one to my kids:


As soon as I am finished with this:

I'm about 1/3 the way finished with this one, but it's an audio book.

What about you?
What are you reading this summer?


1 comment:

  1. Been thinking about you the last few days. I hope everything is well in your neck of the woods. Utah still stands, at least the west side of the lake. I love reading your blog, and seeing the challenges and adventures your little crew endures! You are a marvel Miss Chris! Boy that husband of yours is sure lucky to have found his lobster. (friends reference, yes I know I am a dork!). Looking forward to seeing more blog posts about all the fun y'all are having in Jersey! Hugs<3

    ReplyDelete