Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet? Is it spring yet?

Have I mentioned that I am SICK OF WINTER?
Only 100 times?


Well, I am.
It SNOWED on Saturday and Sunday. 


What kind of witchcraft is that?
Come on Spring...you are so close!

Those evil squirrels totally missed more bulbs than I thought they did. 
We have the promise of about half the tulips I planted, but way more than I thought survived.


It's going to be so pretty.


We found out that we have at least a dozen giant rocks in the back yard when that tree blew over. Now we just need to get them in the front and side yard where I can get my curb appeal on. I never quite figured that out in Utah, but we have an itty bitty front yard here and I'm not so intimidated by it.


I don't remember what we planted here, but it grew in a big cluster. 
Maybe Romy or the squirrels put a bunch of bulbs there.
Any guesses, Blog Readers?



Remember these unfinished chairs I picked up that the thrift store last week?


Well, yesterday I was running errands and the crazy DIY voice in my brain kept nagging me to go back and see what was new at the thrift store. The cool thing about a big thrift store is that the inventory changes every day. Oh sure, there will be some stuff that is there forever, but there is always something new, too. 

There was the cutest bench and I came thisclose to buying it. It was only 25 dollars, and I even have a place for it. I didn't buy it. 
I didn't buy it because it would need to be sanded primed and painted and it would look great, but it would be a real project and I am trying to finish what I start these days and I have this vision for a casual fun dining room arrangement so we can play games with our friends.
As I walked away from the bench, simultaneously trying to talk myself into and out of buying it, 
 I saw two more clean and unfinished wood chairs.
They are a different design, but I had no intention of having the chair match in the first place, I just wanted cohesive. These are the perfect chairs to go with the other two. At 8 dollars each, they were coming home with me and I left the cute bench.
 Now I have four chairs, just waiting for me to love them:



And love them, I am.
The sun came out this morning and as soon as the kids were dropped at school, I threw on my paint shirt and got to work:


I may have also painted the grass blue.
Oops.
That's right folks, Chris Olson is breaking up with tan and black as her signature color scheme. 


Okay, they will go in a  room that is primarily tan and black, but I'm working on it.
 I went so crazy with color in the first real house I owned and realized that there is a big difference between a pop of color and a house that looks like a circus threw up in it. I learned my lesson while painting over my neon orange and green Nickelodeon inspired kid's bathroom when I put the house on the market.
Eight coats of Kilz, folks.

Rainbow chairs are a safer choice.
The total cost for them is less than 50 bucks including the paint. I have some weathering to do on them and then a coat of clear gloss, but with the sun peeking out of the clouds and the tulips peeking out of the Earth, I am excited to have some color peeking out of my dark and boring dining room.
I am already in love with them.

Tomorrow is 25% off day at the thrift store.


 I am sure it will be gone, but I might just pop in and see if the bench is still there....









2 comments:

  1. I LOVE those chairs!! And, my guess on the patch of green coming up is daffodils? I am curious what it will actually become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chairs are awesome, and work well together with the different styles and cheery colors! Anxious to hear if the bench comes home with you...
    I have no guess on the green bush.

    ReplyDelete