Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Color of the Skies Above Me

 
My friend Jeff made a comment today and referenced this song:
 
 
 
Ignoring the awesomeness that music videos were in the late 80's......this song is pretty perfect for how I've felt much of this winter.
 
I'm not depressed, I just look out that window every day and I shiver deep within my bones and want to just stay under the covers and avoid the grey skies.
 
It's silly.
 
Winter comes every year, I don't mind winter at all.
 It's beautiful, even with the grey and the cold. The air has a bite to it when you breathe it in you can bake and get super fat and use winter as the excuse. It gets you out of doing things you don't want to do and you get to stay warm by the heart fires of the home and family.
 
But when the sun comes up, reflecting grey off the snow and pavement and you hear the wind blowing......no part of my soul wants to get moving.
 
I remind myself that in a month, green leaves will invade these New Jersey skies and soon I'll feel like I live in a forest again.
-
Did you know that this is the greenest place I have ever been?
-
Never in my life have I lived near so many trees, trees as old as our country. Trees that were planted as a nation was begun, to bless new lives and new people.
 
We have a new life and we're new people and I love the trees.
But right now, they are a mess of branches, still showing breaks and pain from that terrible storm.
 
When you look through the tangles they weave across the sky, it's dreary.
 
It's not a silent cold like they show in the movies. It's not romantic and Poe-like. It's just there, it's watercolor black and it's eating at us all.
 
Go away, Winter.
 
It's not you, it's me.
 
Well, it's you but I want us to end as friends- but it has to end.

The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again.
With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lips as if I might cry.

Well by the force of will my lungs are filled and so I breathe.
Lately it seems this big bed is where I never leave.
Shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
Quiver in my voice as I cry,

"What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away."

I hear the sound of a noon bell chime.
Now I'm far behind.
You've put in 'bout half a day
while here I lie
with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lip as if I might cry,

"What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away?"

Do I need someone here to scold me
or do I need someone who'll grab and pull me out of this four poster dull torpor pulling downward.
For it is such a long time since my better days.
I say my prayers nightly this will pass away.

The color of the sky is grey as I can see through the blinds.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again
with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my voice as I cry,

"What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away?"
I shiver, quiver, and try to wake.


No comments:

Post a Comment