Friday, December 7, 2012

Peasant Bread

 
I've seen this recipe make the rounds on Pinterest a lot lately.
No-Knead Peasant Bread.
 
 
No knead? I love to make bread, I am good at making bread, but I have just enough OCD that I hate hate hate having to get my hands all gunky to knead it. It's not so much my hands, but the gunk that gets under my fingernails and in my ring and.....
Wow, this post got gross all of a sudden.

Anyway, this was delicious.
It was crazy easy and had really good flavor. That might be due to the fact that it bakes in a pool of butter, but what's the point of baking if it doesn't involve butter?

Make it.
It's yummy.

 
 
Peasant Bread
4 C. flour
2 tsp. salt
2 C. lukewarm water
1 TB sugar
2 tsp (or 1 packet) yeast
1 stick margarine
 
In a small bowl, mix the sugar in the water until it dissolves, then add the yeast. Stir with a non metal spoon and let it sit until it's foamy- usually about 10 minutes.
 
In a larger bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
 
Once the yeast is all yeastified, add it to the flour and salt mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.
This will make a really wet and sticky dough.
Cover it with plastic and let it rise until doubled.
 
Once it has doubled, punch it down and get two bowls that can withstand baking. Pyrex is just perfect. Divide the margarine in half and grease your bowls generously with the butter and then just leave the rest of the stick of butter in the middle of the bottom of the bowl. If you don't want all of that butter, then only grease the bowl and skip the glob in the bottom, but know that I am sad for you.
 
Divide the punched down dough in half and put in the bowls.
You'll get messy unless you are more  OCD than I am and can manage to accomplish this with a couple of forks like the woman on Pinterest did.
I about dropped dough on the floor when I tried, so I just used my hands. It's still super sticky and wet dough.
That's okay.
Cover and let it rise until double again.
 
A good rule of thumb when having bread rise- always rise until double that first time, don't rush this by not letting it actually double. The second rise tends to take half as long as the first rise. I have a knack for having my bread rise annoyingly slow, so even if the recipe says rise for an hour or until doubled-- wait until it is doubled. I have had that 'hour' take 3 hours before, and I never regret just letting it take as long as it needs to take.
 
Anyway----once it's doubled again- bake the bread in a preheated 425 oven for 10 minutes, then turn the oven to 375 and bake for 22-25 more minutes.
 
When you take it out, smother butter on the top.
It should slide right out of the bowl and you will see how it soaked up all of that heart clogging butter from the bottom.
You will think to yourself "I love Chris. I love her so much."
 
And if it doesn't turn out....then blame Pinterest.
 

1 comment:

  1. To knead without gunk: take off your ring (unless you never ever do that) and get latex gloves that have not been powdered on the inside. Put the gloves on, wash your hands so the gloves are clean, and a-kneading you will go!

    ReplyDelete