Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quack!

This week the kids got a surprise package from Grandma  and Grandpa O!


Fun Halloween treats and toys.


They loved the rubber duckies, that will forever remind us of Aunt Gail.

We have all of our duckies displayed in the bathroom, now we have a few new ones to add to the collection. I love having something fun to serve as a reminder of such a free spirited and bright woman, we think of Aunt Gail often and wish miles were not so long and time was not so short.

The kids loved the gifts and knowing that even though we are so far away, that they are still loved and thought of by their family in Utah.
I miss you guys, too. I miss the wee ones and I miss being able to just yak with Mom O.
I need to just call her.
I avoid my phone because when I speak to those I love and miss, I get too choked up and the conversation gets scatterbrained as I try to not just say "I miss you" 300 different ways and sound like a whiney boob.
But I do miss you.
I miss you more than 300 different ways, Maggie.
I like that rubber duckies are also now a reminder of you.


I've been spending a lot of my afternoons getting things ready for the upcoming Fall Festival at church. It's a huge event and I hope we can pull it off.
I baked 10 dozen sugar cookies yesterday, and I'll have you know I made them thick and soft, Caleb.
They are now in the freezer, waiting to be turned into pumpkins by the primary kids.

One of the different things about New Jersey life is that all three of the kids hate school lunches.
They all want lunches made from home, and I have to admit that there is a part of me that really enjoys assembling the lunches, putting in a little "Mom loves you" note in the bags of the kids who won't be embarrassed by that and having the kids bring a little part of my taking care of them to school every day.
Part of the fun is finding creative ways to save money and make the meals healthy.
One way is that I am making sandwiches with homemade bread. It's a lot heartier and better for the kids than Wonder Bread.
We also have noticed that the bread lasts a lot longer here now that the King of Grilled Cheese is away at college in Utah. The bread will go bad before we use a whole loaf, but if I make it myself, the kids are happy to have it in lunches and as a side for dinner.
Last week I made potato bread.
If you don't know this already, when you add mashed potatoes to your bread dough you get the lightest bread ever.  It's more airy than regular white bread and you also do not get a thick and chewy crust. I like a nice, buttery crust on bread, but for kid sandwiches, a load of potato bread is wonderful.
It's also really absorbent so it is a great bread to dip soups into (but not make bread bowls with.)
It doesn't taste like potatoes.
It tastes like bread.
Try it......

I used a recipe I found here:
Potato Bread

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup butter, soft
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2-1/4 tsp (1 pkg) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 5 cups bread flour, about
In large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, eggs, and butter.
Stir in sugar, salt, yeast, and warm water.
Mix in enough flour to make a dough that can be kneaded by hand.
Turn dough out onto floured board and knead it until smooth and elastic.
Put dough in a greased bowl. Flip dough over inside bowl so that the dough top is also lightly greased. Cover and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, until double in bulk.
Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and briefly knead out bubbles.
Divide dough in half and shape into two loaves.
Place loaves in two greased 8x4x2-inch bread pans. Cover and let rise a second time for 40 minutes or until doubled.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped on.

2 comments:

  1. Would you be mad if I made this and blogged it on my recipe blog? I would give you full credit (but not a like to this blog -- I know better than that!) for the recipe. Maybe a link to your facebook profile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A link to this blog -- shesh! I really should learn how to type properly!

      Delete