Sunday, October 21, 2012

Let me start this post by making a big announcement:
We totally passed Troy Aikman on the sidewalk yesterday.
(After this a year that included Disneyland, a graduation and a cross country move-- we're trying to keep the rest of our big announcements this year within reason.)
He was walking on Park Avenue and we totally walked right by him and spent the next 2 hours smiling and saying "Troy Aikman!"
Add him to the loooong list of celebrity-ish people I have seen.
That list includes my spotting Matt Lauer in Central Park, Brandon Mull in Disneyland (Shh, he IS famous), Tom Coliccio at the metro station in DC and Romy literally crashing into Bill Murray at Midway in Chicago.
Why were you flying Southwest, Bill Murray? Why?

This week's blog prompt:
What are your favorite movies?
 I enjoy movies, but I'm not the one to go to when you want to share campy quotes or you want a buddy to catch the midnight screening of something.
I don't particularly enjoy going to the movies.
My favorite movies tend to be movies I have been able to enjoy from the comfort of my own sofa. I would rather see a movie at home any day than go to the theater. Even the big ones that we can't wait for, I have to confess I only go out to see them because I want to see it right away or other people in the family really want to go.

We saw this giant poster yesterday in the city.
Okay, I'm excited about that one.

I had read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings before they were movies, but they weren't life changing or even books I enjoyed. After the Lord of the Rings movies, it brought the books alive for me in new ways.
I think the reason why can be summed up in two words:
Orlando Bloom.
It's too bad I disliked everything else he was in after that except for Pirates of the Caribbean, and I think his performance wasn't what made whose good, I think Johnny Depp did that.


I am not a fan of romantic comedies. There are plenty that I have enjoyed, some great lines and scenes in a few of them, but I don't choose to spend my dollars on Julia Roberts or Reese Witherspoon movies.
I'd rather stab my eye out than watch pretty much anything with Kate Hudson or Jennifer Lopez in it.
There are actors that nearly ruin other movies because they have been in crummy romcoms. Hugh Jackman in Kate and Leopold....gross. I even liked him in Van Helsing, which was a super dumb movie but it took me years to forgive him for that boring drivel he starred in with Meg Ryan.
I remember when Meg Ryan was THE  rom/com actress, I use to actually watch that type of movie then.


She was good at it and I did enjoy her movies. I think that changed when she got divorced and started injecting the heck out of her face. Look, I hate getting older as much as the next gal, but not so much that I would get a totally different face. Botox yourself until you have sheet rock for skin, but keep the shapes the same, Girls.
I struggle to sit through most of your typical chick flicks.
I don't want to see anyone lip-syncing into a hairbrush while they rattle off lines that have become so cliche about love that I want to beat my head against the wall.
I get it, your dog is a better boyfriend than your man.
 Yep, all the good ones are gay.
 Ah yes, you don't want the pretty blond girl, she's secretly a shrew- what you really want is the quirky brunette that's been right there all along.
One more movie about someone who finds themselves and in the process... finds love, too and I'll scream.
 
(just kill me.)
Okay, I won't scream, but I'm not going to that movie. I think the last girl movie I actually chose to go see in a theater was "Hope Floats" and even Harry Connick Jr, in all his southern hotness could not make me feel like my money would have been better spent on Pokemon cards or a giant rubber band ball.

That is not the case with movies that have aliens/explosions/wizards/mutants/superheroes or the word "Star" anywhere in the title. 'Trek,'  'Wars,'  ' Gallactica'.....be still my heart.

 For every ounce of vomit I hold for Merryl Streep, I make up for it in unabashed love for Jason Statham, Daniel Craig and laser guns.
You have no idea how much I loved that idiotic move "Cowboys and Aliens." It was a near perfect blend of pointless explosions, special effects gunfights and bad guys from outer space.  I will totally put up with a really stupid love story as long as there is a good car chase and a building blows up before they protagonists swap cheesy pick up lines and have their predictable tryst before countdown.
It does need to be a 'guy' movie though- however dumb the plot premise is. Not a teenage romance that simply added characters with freak genetics. Twilight doesn't get a pass just because there are fighting scenes. If you are going to have an actress that walks around mooning over the males in the film that's dead behind the eyes, make sure she's dead the rest of the way by the end of the first movie.

It's embarrassing how low my standards are for an action movie and how much happier I feel after watching something so stupid than I am watching one of those life changing films that will win a bunch of awards. I want time travel, I want magic and robots, I want the laws of physics to be totally cheapened and mocked as I wait for the guy in the red shirt to die.

November 9th Skyfall will be hit theaters.
The Hobbit,  December 14.

The next Rachel McAdams movie?
Go away and get off my blog before I blow up your car, Yo.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure which impresses me more; that you almost met Troy Aikman, or that you were walking on Park Avenue!

    ReplyDelete