Sunday, October 28, 2012

Here We Go


I'm sitting here, in my nice warm (an well lit) house, enjoying a movie with my family as I check on friends who are on facebook and listen to my dishwasher run.

We were going to watch "The Day After Tomorrow" but the DVD has been misplaced, so we're watching "The Other Side of Heaven" instead. It was a better choice, I'm sure.
This may not be something I can enjoy for awhile after tomorrow for some time.
They are calling it "Frankenstorm."
It hasn't quite hit yet, but by tomorrow, it should be pretty awful.
They're evacuating parts of our town, I really hope our street isn't evacuated, even if it gets bad, I think we are safest here at home.
So far, it's very quiet here.

We are as prepared as we can be.
We don't have a generator, we ordered one after not being able to find one last week. It's due to arrive Friday, so it's not going to be of any help. I won't be holding my breath that it will be here by then, anyway.

We will make do.
We have water and have been filling ziplock bags & empty soda bottles with water and putting them in the freezer to help keep things cold longer if/when the power goes out.

We have  plenty of food.

We have a solid home, warm blankets and clothes as well as full tanks of gas in the cars.

The laundry is all done and so are the dishes, the kids have had hot baths and I made a double batch of whole wheat rolls and cinnamon rolls to help make meals easier. I used leftover frosting from the ward party on the cinnamon rolls. They look silly, but it's just food coloring.

Halloween and school has been cancelled by the town. The trains and public transport have all been stopped and New York City is for all intents and purposes "closed." I read somewhere that due to the sheer number of people who live here that 1 in 5 Americans  will be hit by this storm, it's a little hard to really put my head around numbers like that.

We've said our prayers and are hoping for the best.

3 comments:

  1. We are saying our prayers, too! I'll admit to being more than a little concerned about all of this. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're praying for you all and everyone too! take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and praying you will stay safe, warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete