Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Granola, Eaten In Moderation....


Granola is such great stuff.
My grandmother's granola was the best, I've never had anything that quite compared to what Grandma Westfall use to make. I know that time and memory have probably transformed her granola from being simply great into the most amazing marriage of oats and coconut ever to occur on this planet.
Don't get me started on her peaches.
Romy and I love granola more than others in this house. 
When I buy it, I know that as much as I want to eat an entire box, it will have consequences.
One does not simply eat an entire box of high fiber cereal.
I will spare you the story of the Great Cracklin' Oat Bran Girls Camp Disaster of 1988.

Romy has been told to go easy on the granola and she has been told the reasons why, but she just caved in the face of temptation. 
She ate nothing but granola for almost 2 days, until the box was empty.


Live and learn, Kid.....

She wanted to miss school and I told her we do not miss school for tummy troubles due to eating a horse-size portion of grains. I gave her some Kaopectate and sent a note to her teachers, telling them that Romy was NOT sick, but she was over-fibered and if she asks to use the restroom, to please let her go as often as she asked.
(taken yesterday, NOT on  Fiberday)


She was mortified, but she survived.
She vowed to NEVER eat granola again........until yesterday, less than one week after her fiber fiasco.

I made granola yesterday and she's having a hard time finding anything else to eat because it's so good.


It's my own twist to a recipe that was just a little too bland.

Olson Peanut Butter Granola

2 cup light Karo Syrup 
1 cup peanut butter
Microwave for 1 minute, blend together


add 4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
mix together


add
6 C quick oats
1 C chopped peanuts (I used dry roasted, the kind you snack on because I like salty and sweet)
1/2 c sliced almonds
1 C coconut

Mix it all together in a big bowl until all of the dry ingredients are coated. 


Divide between two cookie sheets and spread out. 

bake at 275 for 40-50 minutes, take it out and stir it every 15 or the bottom and edges will overcook and burn.

I do not like fruit in my cereal and this granola is not overly sweet. It's a crunchy nutty granola with a subtle peanut butter flavor. Add whatever you think will make it yummy to you. If you want a ton of peanut butter flavor, add another half cup or full cup of peanut butter. It's granola, you can't screw this up. I'm going to add hot cocoa mix next time and see how that goes. 


Eat it, it's good.
Just don't eat it all in one day. 

2 comments:

  1. When I read your ingredients, my brain turned "karo syrup" into "kaopectate", and I thought you had come up with a novel way of addressing Romy's particular problems...

    ReplyDelete