Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Reading 2012

Every summer I have great plans to read a bunch of books. I envision myself out in the yard while the children play and never ever fight as I sit and devour all of the things I meant to finish reading in the winter.
I tend to get about half of my planned reading finished and considering that for the first 10 years of my being a parent, it was a challenge to get through an entire magazine, I'll go ahead and feel good about that.
This summer, I've been doing pretty well. I have been listening to some audio books as well and it's a nice distraction as I deal with all of these boxes full of stuff that I simply have no place for.
So...without further blabbering, I bring you my Summer Reading:

I started book 2 of this series the day we moved in, and haven't stopped listening to them since.
I'm on book 6, which I thought I owned, but I had to order it yesterday from Deseret Book.
I still need books 10 & 11 and I'll be sure to order those soon, because it stinks to be at a cliffhanger in the story and I have to wait 2 weeks to find out what happens.

Anyway, as I often find with series books, I think the first one was the least interesting, the second one was awfully preachy but the rest of them have been really great.

While I wait, I'm starting this one today. Love Scalzi.
We went to a book signing a couple of years back and listened to him talk and do a Q & A. He wasn't very warm and fuzzy, but then I was snapping pictures like he was Brad Pitt and I am sure that was as annoying as heck.

I finished this book:

It was better than I thought it would be. I expected to enjoy it, (who doesn't love Stephanie?) but it was a really good read. It was much deeper than I assumed it would be and she's a great writer. Her story flows really well and shares the feelings of her soul without getting preachy in any way. She's completely real in her sharing of her experience and it's very refreshing and moving.  I completely loved it.

I also finished this book:


It was fine, not really what I normally read. I'd heard so many wonderful things about this LDS author and I'm a sucker for anything related to the Titanic so I figured it would be a good read. It's not really my style, I guess. It was a pleasant book and I enjoyed it, but I'm in any hurry to read another.

There is a new Dresden that's coming out this summer, Matt and I are counting down the days for that to be released.
Harry Dresden, plus a hat....


 They also had a really great deal on a pack of the 3 audiobooks in the Kane series by Rick Riordan. he wrote the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.


 I read the first of the Kane books and didn't love it, it seemed like it was the same story as Percy Jackson, only with Egyptian figures in the story, so I didn't read the next 2 books. The deal on Amazon was so good for the audiobook set though that I figured I could give it another try, so I'll listen to that series in the background this summer.
When we take our summer road trip with all of the kids, we'll finish reading book 2 of the Beyonder's. We started it before we left and read book 1 last summer when we drove to Mount Rushmore. This year were' going to Washington DC with the kids and we'll have plenty of time to finish.

What are you reading this summer, my bloggy friends?

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to have a new book to look for, I think the Dresden books sound fun. Tim and I are just finishing book 4 of the Inheritance Series, it has been fun to read together, but we need something new and exciting.
    I just read By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, by Paulo Coelho and I want to read more from him. We will see, I need to read stuff other than education books.

    ReplyDelete